Since 1983 Barry Weiskopf has represented companies and individuals in real estate, business, and health care transactions. Many of his clients have worked with him for years and appreciate the close personal attention he gives to their matters, as well as the breadth of his experience. His clients include closely held companies and publicly traded entities.
In the real estate area, Barry represents clients in the acquisition and financing of residential and commercial properties, including existing office buildings, shopping centers, warehouses, apartment complexes, and land for residential development. He serves as national leasing counsel for a national fashion retailer and as outside general counsel to the largest privately held homebuilder headquartered in the State of Maryland.
In the business and health care transaction area, Barry assists clients in acquiring and selling businesses, as well as assisting clients with day-to-day legal issues. His business clients include medical professionals, a community hospital, warehousing and distribution businesses, retailers, and home builders. He also represents technology companies in the preparation and negotiation of their Internet services, software licensing agreements, and enterprise software development contracts.
- The sale of a family-owned, local dealership with multiple locations to a national chain of automobile dealerships.
- The acquisition of three office buildings in Columbia, Maryland, and placement of financing through conduit lenders. Two of the buildings were acquired as part of a Section 1031 tax-free exchange.
- The acquisition of an office building on behalf of a non-profit organization, and financing of the acquisition and renovations with state grants and tax-exempt bonds. Since the acquisition, Barry has successfully litigated an exemption from real property taxes on behalf of the client.
- The acquisition of a 60-acre energy storage facility with access to barge, rail, and truck transportation. The transaction involved the assemblage of properties and several complex lease transactions.
- Representation of a community hospital in several medical practice acquisitions and negotiation of exclusive service agreements with physician practices.
- The sale of a portfolio of seven large land parcels to a national homebuilder.
- Over 75 leases for a national fashion retailer.
Barry is a 1994 graduate of The Leadership (Greater Baltimore Committee).
Since 2010, Maryland Super Lawyers, a publication of Law & Politics, has recognized him for his business/corporate and real estate practices. Only five percent of the lawyers in the state are named by Super Lawyers. The selections are made by the research team at Super Lawyers, which is a service of the Thomson Reuters, Legal Division. In 2009 and 2011, he was named one of Baltimore's "Legal Elite" as voted by Baltimore SmartCEO Magazine's reader poll.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1983) Order of the Coif
- University of Virginia (B.A., with distinction, 1980)
- State of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Greater Baltimore Committee, Leadership Program, Class of 1994