Obtained a defense verdict for a hospital in a jury trial in Circuit Court for Baltimore County in a wrongful death case arising from claimed medical negligence.
Achieved a defense verdict for a hospital and a physician on the first day of trial in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City in a claimed permanent injury case.
Defended a hospital in a lawsuit alleging defamation and tortious interference in connection with a contract between the hospital and a pharmacological product supplier; the hospital prevailed on summary judgment.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a managed care organization in a medical malpractice case pending in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City on statutory grounds.
Obtained dismissal of a medical malpractice case for a health plan on the grounds that plaintiffs’ expert was not qualified to render an opinion in the Circuit Court for Baltimore City.
Defended hundreds of products liability cases in federal and state courts in the mid-Atlantic region.
Successfully obtained declaratory judgment on behalf of insurance company involving a real estate dispute valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
Has successfully guided hundreds of cases towards settlement through mediation.
Drafted a health insurance company’s internal policy governing the handling of policyholder appeals.
Served as outside general counsel for physicians’ private practices.
Represented insurers in coverage disputes.
Drafted employment contracts for physician practices.
Created consent forms and HIPAA disclosures for private practices.
Counseled health care providers with respect to privacy and related issues.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (J.D., with honors, 1983)
- Loyola College (B.A., magna cum laude, 1980) Alpha Sigma Nu
- State of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Executive Alliance, President, 2012-2013; Board of Directors, 2009-2019
- Maryland-DC Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- American Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Defense Counsel, Inc., President, 1992-1993
- Maryland Judicial Commission on Pro Bono
- Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service, Inc., Certified Settlement Facilitator
- MERITAS, Law Firms Worldwide, Member Contact, 2016-2021; Board of Directors, 1994-1997
- Greater Baltimore Committee, Health Care Committee, 2005-2009
- DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar, State Representative, 1994-1998; Editor, The Defense Line, 1988-1989